Thursday, July 3, 2008

How to wrap and pack like an expert

It's all done. The house is full of boxes and the 40 ft lorry parks outside our house at 8am tomorrow. I got up at 5am this morning with a spooky 6th sense on the key to our built-in house safe. I had left it in the door of the safe - too sensible. It had been packed with the rest of the stuff in the study. So between 5am and 7am I unwrapped, de-taped and went through all the boxes to find the key - I found it - was an eureka moment but no-one was up to share it with me unfortunately. I then spent half an hour redoing all the wrapping so the packers didn't know. Why I'm bothered about this I really don't know as I doubt they really care but they do seem to take pride in their work. There is a correct way to tape and seal a box you know, possibly - I was taught by someone today who has been doing it for 47 years - can you imagine that - packing and unpacking other people's stuff forever - I wonder if he ever moves house. I thought he was Master Packer Extraordinaire actually. Until I spotted him putting the flourishing touches to the seal of the freezer. In broken Dutch (well lots of sign language really involving my mouth and licking - bit like a dog) I casually asked if he'd checked the freezer - ummm, the fridge was empty but the kids had left 3 half-eaten ice creams in freezer section the night before.........6 weeks later in Dominica I don't think they would have relished them as much. Off went the packing. I skulked away and paid a quick visit to the bakery and returned with croissants, cakes, sandwiches, the works. Well, that kept them all very happy for the rest of the morning. I took a picture but I'm not sure you really want to see a house full of 160 boxes. Don't want to put you off the relocation challenge completely either..........

No comments: