Thursday, July 31, 2008

How much is that bubbly in the window?

So, I've done 3 supermarkets so far, well I think the only 3 big players as it were, probably equal to Lidl, Sainsburys and Waitrose, sort of. Well, Waitrose today (IGA) was really impressive as it was air conditioned too. I went round, put in my sausages, bacon and Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut. I then went round and replaced them all back on the shelves after a quick calculation (and Andy muttering in my ear 'wait until we're really desperate') but I still enjoyed the experience - maybe it'll be part of my ritual until I move on in my mental shopping lists, what a worry, they'll think I'm some compulsive shopper nutter - watch out, here comes the blonde - make sure she replaces everything in the same place. Anyway, they were swiftly replaced with local chicken, local eggs, and ok, not so impressive, Schweppes Tonic Water (to go with our Tanqueray Ten from St Lucia). Two bottles were $18EC so our G&T's might be limited. However, the other option is to buy something called Quenchi's which when opened could either be soda, lemonade OR tonic. There's no clue on the bottles which make the process a sort of Gin & Tonic lotto with both of us pretending it tastes just the same as neither of us want to be the first to crack. But, get this, in the booze aisle there was a bottle of Dom Perignon 1999. Guess how much. EC$238/US90. All I can think is they put it on the shelf in 1999 and haven't changed the price since. So, to sum up, when I do get really desperate I can get my Dairy Milk and my DP. Sorted.

No comments: